Reducing Small Business Electricity & Gas Costs For Newsagents
Energy consumption can be one of the main reasons why newsagents in the UK struggle with stability and success. From chiller refrigeration and in-store lighting to ever growing instore electricity costs, newsagents energy usage can often reach extremely high levels.
At Simply Business Energy, we have identified some of the key methods that can help reduce your newsagent’s energy consumption and save money on your utility bills over time. This will improve the financial stability of your newsagent and will also increase efficiency throughout your small business.
Saving on refrigeration costs
For newsagents, refrigeration and chiller costs can contribute to a considerable amount towards small business energy costs. There are a number of key factors to consider when using a refrigeration unit within your newsagent, such as:
- Installing a refrigeration unit, which has a reduced heat output. This means the refrigeration unit doesn’t have to work as hard and will not consume as much energy.
- Ensuring that all produce is stored at the right temperature. By doing this, your produce is not only safe for consumption, but also the energy consumption of your refrigeration equipment will be at a reasonable setting.
- Installing a refrigeration unit which has a security shutter or night blind feature. This means you will be able to close the shutters when not in use.
- Making sure all refrigeration units are positioned away from the newsagent’s main heat sources - placing a unit near the entrance points of the newsagent can also affect the energy consumption.
- When possible, refill/fully stock refrigeration units and utilise available cooling spaces, as energy is wasted when the unit is chilling an empty space.
- Ensuring the refrigeration systems are well maintained on a regular basis, so they can work more efficiently for a longer period of time.
- Regularly clear all blocked, dirty and leaking components in all refrigeration systems, as this can lead to increased energy demand.
- Making sure no produce/stock is blocking the ventilation system of the appliance.
- Creating detailed lists of regular equipment checks. If any issues do arise, then appoint a professional maintenance contractor.
- Checking refrigeration evaporator fins on a regular basis, to make sure there are no ice build ups.
Lighting is essential for newsagents, in order to provide customers with the best possible visibility when visiting your store. Here are some tips that can help you reduce your lighting bills:
- Replace energy consuming Fluorescent lighting & Install low energy LED lighting, wherever possible.
- Install large double glazed windows & keep clear at the front of your newsagent. This would be beneficial from a heating perspective (within the store) by retaining heat and saving small business energy and gas costs. It will also save your newsagent on lighting costs, due to the increased exposure to incoming natural light.
- Turn off refrigeration lighting, when closed/not in use.
- Install/Setup light timers in accordance with the opening and closing times of your newsagent.
Small Business Electricity
Newsagents are competing locally on a daily basis, in terms of what they can offer their customers. Lottery tickets, Cash Points, Pay Point machines and printing facilities are just a few electronic systems which are demanded by customers in recent years. Along with till & payment facilities, newsagents need to save on small business electricity costs where possible.
Here is how your newsagent can start cutting down on costs from today:
- Switch off electronic systems that are not in constant use in the store. This includes switching off all systems when the newsagent is closed.
- If there is electronic signage externally or internally within the store, ensure these signs are turned off when they are not needed.
- Switch from automatic door systems to a disabled ‘push to open’ entrance and exit. This will further reduce your small business electricity costs and also ensure that your establishment is disabled friendly.
Energy Contract Management
The above consumption reduction initiatives will assist in reducing energy consumption costs, but small business energy prices can only be managed by intelligent purchasing.
Pro-active Contract Management – Many small business energy contracts have variable rate clauses. This allows suppliers to increase costs at the end of the contract term. Due to this, some businesses have had their contracts rolled over with an increase in cost of up to 30%.
Contact our friendly team today to find out how your newsagent can benefit from choosing the right energy supplier. Alternatively, you can compare small business gas and electricity prices yourself, or register for our renewal reminder service on our website to help you get the best rates for your business.
- about 'both'